The renovations combined improvements to the facilities of the Main Building, the Former Prince Asaka Residence, with research, restoration, and reproduction to return it to its original form. In addition, the new Annex now adds white cube exhibition galleries to the museum’s exhibition spaces. As one of Tokyo’s leading museums, the Tokyo Metropolitan Teien Art Museum will continue to communicate the timeless appeal of its historic architecture to new generations. At the same time it will now become a museum where new art and new ideas are born.
The former residence of Prince Asaka and his family, our Main Building was completed in 1933. It was among the first structures in Japan to embrace Art Deco fully. Special care was taken in assembling luxurious materials from around the world. French designers worked together to plan its gorgeous spaces, while a team of skilled artisans from the Imperial Household Ministry’s Construction Bureau, headed by Gondo Yokichi, employed the finest of Japanese craftsmanship in executing the plans.
During this renovation, major improvements were made to the building’s facilities. At the same time, meticulous attention was paid to details. The original wallpaper in the Prince’s Sitting Room was reproduced. The exterior walls were repainted. The Sevres-style decorative fountain (also known as the Tower of Scent) designed by Henri Rapin was restored. The 1933 Art Deco palace built in the forests of Shirogane is now reborn in all its former glory.
The new Annex adjoining the Main Building includes white cube galleries, based on the advice of contemporary artist Sugimoto Hiroshi. Passing through the beautiful glass approach built by Mihoya Glass, visitors enter the modern, relaxed space that opens before them.
By bringing together the original building and new Annex, historic architecture and a spacious new facility, we are expanding the potential of the museum’s offerings to include exhibitions of contemporary art, film, music, and other performing arts.
The attractive new café and museum shop add to the pleasures of visiting the museum. Here visitors will find exclusive "Made only in Japan" goods. The café offers special desserts inspired by works in the museum's collections and handcrafted by our patissier.
＊Work on the garden and teahouse is still underway. They will reopen when renovations are complete. Please look forward to our notice that they are ready for your enjoyment.
|Site Area||34,765.02㎡||Main Building||Building Area：1,048.29㎡
Total Floor Area：2,100.47㎡
Structure：Reinforced Concrete 3 stories above ground, 1 below ground
Architectural Design : Takumiryo (Bureau of Skilled Artisans)of Kunaisho (Imperial Household Ministry)
Designer for the official rooms : Henri Rapin
Year of completion：1933